Thursday, March 24, 2011

GOAL NUMBER TWO- Nursing

When Remi was sick, he had trouble eating. In fact- he wasn't eating. He was only eating 3 times a day and was actually losing weight. Nursing made his ear infections hurt even more due to the hard sucking and jaw movement. We had to resort to a bottle a few times a day to help him eat. Since then, He is starting to prefer bottle over boob. I'm not ready to give up breast feeding yet. I know I have a good supply 'cause when I do get the chance to nurse him, he fills up and is satisfied. I'm not against the bottle-- I just rather breast feed at this point.

**So my plan is -- Wean him back to the boob by alternating boob- bottle every other feeding. Slowly, I'll nurse more then bottle feed.
The thing is- my let down doesn't come super fast. Its very slow- so once he latches, it takes almost a minute for my let down to happen. By then, Remi is frustrated, hungry and rather have the bottle whom puts out immediately. So I've got to figure out a way to get him to latch, stay latched and help him wait for my milk to come down BEFORE he gets frustrated and gives up.

DAY ONE (this was actually 2 days ago) I put milk in a syringe and squirted milk in Remis mouth just as I latched him on- (hoping he'd think the milk was coming out of my boob.)But would quickly pull off. I then squirt milk in his mouth again, latched him and waited. After about 5 times- My milk finally came down and he nursed the rest of the way.
*I did this for the rest of the day, during each feeding. He nurse on me 3 times in a row!! (The most he's nursed in over a week)

DAY TWO- I found a trick-- get him latched BEFORE he was actually hungry. I figured out that once he was crying due to being hungry- it was too late. You could only satisfy him with a bottle. So- I'd time it- every 2 hours I would latch him whether he was hungry or not. We had success just about every time! The only problem was my damn 'let down' not coming quick enough. He'd get frustrated and fight with me a bit but once my milk came in, he stayed latched.
*I did this for the whole day and ended up having to give him only 2 bottles the whole day - all the other feedings he nursed!!* YAY!!!

DAY THREE( today ) Remi woke up around 4am to eat. I latched him right away-- no problems what so ever!!! Went back to sleep and was up again around 7 to nurse. This time, he wanted nothing to do with my LEFT boob- but latched right away to my RIGHT boob. But- after nursing and draining that side, I latched him right away, no problems, to my left side. Weirdo! Same thing happened around 10- wanted nothing to do with the left boob at first, latched right away on the right side - and then had a second helping of milk finally on the left side. --Guess I'll start with the right side from now on. *I did have to give him a bottle today though- I was almost out the door for lunch and he refused my boobs all together! So I gave him the break and gave him a bottle.*

*** I also started taking Fenugreek yesterday! I'm hoping that helps with my "let down" issue and makes it happen more quickly.

SO far- I'm happy with both my goals!!

2 comments:

  1. yay so glad things are working out better now. So proud of you. You are such an awesome Mommy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nicole!! This nursing this has been a huge challenge. I think its more frustrating 'cause we were going strong for almost 3 months...then it took a turn...Its like I'm starting all over again.

    ReplyDelete