Thursday, March 24, 2011

GOAL NUMBER ONE - sleep schedule

So Remi is approaching 4 months and he is some-what on a schedule. He goes to bed at a certain time, wakes up at a certain time and I can predict his nap times. BUT---for this past week or so, none of this happens unless we rock him to sleep in our arms. I don't want my kid to be 'one of those' kids that you have to rock to sleep. I want my kid to be the type of kid that goes to bed when you put them to bed- no rocking needed.

SO- here is goal Number 1 - SLEEP GOAL- let Remi pretty much "cry it out" 'till he falls asleep. Yea I know I know....that sounds horrible right? See-once hes starts to doze off in my arms, I gently lay him down in his swing or bouncer or bassinet and --- he wakes up!!!! I rock him, he falls asleep, I lay him down- he crys (repeat) I DON'T WANT THIS!! I would love to just put him down to nap/sleep and he SLEEPS!!!! NO rocking, No bouncing, and yea- an occasional (slight) cry -
**so-- my plan is -- When is nap time or bed time is approaching and Remi is starting to doze off in my arms, I will lay him down. If and WHEN if starts crying, I will let him cry! I want him to know that He can sleep without him having to be held or rocked. After 20 or so minutes, if he is still crying- I'll pick him up- comfort him and try it all over again.

DAY ONE- Yesterday was day one of this goal-
NAP TIME- I layed him down as soon as he started dozing off- he cried for 30 mins and finally fell asleep and took a 3 hour nap.
BEDTIME- he started dozing in my arms so I layed him down in his bassinet- he only cried for 15 mins and fell asleep and STAYED asleep for 9 hours!!

DAY TWO - NAP TIME- Started to doze off and get super cranky so I put him in his swing. This time he was out in less then 5 minutes!!

The next challenge will be bed time again. Although it breaks my heart to let him scream and cry, I know this will be better for him in the end. He won't feel like he HAS to be rocked to sleep. This will make him on a sort of schedule and help him learn when its time to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. I know it is hard to hear him crying but you are doing the right thing. We did the same thing with Hayden and now it is a dream to put him down for nap and bed. After lunch I let him play no more than another 30 minutes then I simplly say "Let's take a nap" pick him up and put him in his crib. No crying, no resistance. At night I have him sit in the rocker with me starting 30 minutes before bedtime. We read books or just rock then I say "Let's go to bed" he then surrenders his milk cup and again I lay him down with no fight. At night I put on his music and humidifer. So...it does work!! Stick with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dom! It sure is hard to hear him crying...my heart pounds every time I lay him down and walk away. I feel guilty YET- I feel good 'cause I 'get a break' when I put him down..and like you said - it will help him in the long run.
    How long did it take before Hayden started catching on? What age did you start doing this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We started when he was 3 months. That is when we decided he should sleep in his crib rather than the pack n play in our room. He has slept in his own crib through the night since then. It only took about a week. There will be times when it doesn't work so good...namely when he is sick but that is to be expected.

    ReplyDelete