Monday, December 6, 2010

Our Birth Story

So it all started on Sunday night. I started contracting pretty good at 7pm. They were still about 10 mins apart but they felt pretty 'good'. I thought they were maybe braxton hicks so I tried to ignore them. About 2 hours later- when I realized they were still coming on I layed on my right side to see if they would go away--they didn't. So I said I'd go do the dishes and see if standing would make them go away- it didn't. I decided then that I would start bouncing on the ball to help increase them and time them if in fact this was 'the real deal'. The contractions were picking up and getting stronger and closer together!! WOO!! From 7pm to about midnight, they went from 10 mins apart to 5 mins and they were getting stronger!! Long story short~ at 3am they reached the 2-3 min mark so I decided to wake Mike up. "This is it" ...I said to him. I suggested we talk a walk around block for they were starting to hurt pretty bad. While walking- I would have to stop in my tracks to let the contraction pass. This is when we decided to go to the hospital. We both were soooo excited as we got things ready to go. BUT- we decided not to take our things with us to hospital 'cause we didn't want to 'jinx' ourselves.
The drive to the hospital was so weird! We were nervous, anxious and excited but worried that they'd just send us home for 'false labor'.
We arrived at the hospital at 3am and immediately got into triage. I was contracting every 2-3 mins for about 4 hours but had no cervix change. I was stuck at 3cm! My blood pressure began to climb high and they couldn't get it to go down so they decision was made to admit me to labor and delivery. We started crying for the thought that TODAY we were going to finally meet our baby!!
We got in our room around 7am and my doctor broke my water right away. We were on our way! My contractions began to get farther apart about 2 hours into it so we then started pitocen. That definitely kick started the contractions up right away. I got my epidural once I hit 4cm around 11am. The next few hours went super fast. Friends and family were all around us with the same excited emotions as we had.
I was checked at 4pm and was at 9cm. They told me It would be another hour or two to become complete since this was my first baby. Well within the hour- I was complete!! They had me give a practice push so I took a deep breath and...."STOP!!" the nurse yelled. I was now crowning!!!!! The doctor was no where around so I was told not to push. She called the doctor right after and he was 'supposedly' on his way. I had a mirror in front of me so I could see his little head just sitting there. About 20 mins later- with no doctor in sight- the nurse was calling for some one to come catch a baby 'cause Remi was not waiting! He would actually slowly crown more with every contraction- I didn't even have to push! Finally, the doctor arrived and with one push- Remi was out!
He was born at 531pm. He came out and screamed once but was pretty awake and calm while we were cutting the cord. He did have the cord around his neck just once but it was lose and the doctor was able to move it easily. As soon as they put him on my chest I lost it! I bawled! I FINALLY had my little boy here and he was safe.
We had my mom and dad and sister and Mikes mother in the delivery room with us but as soon as he was out- our wish was to have every one leave so that Mike and I can have our sons first moments with just us. So as we wanted- everyone left immediatly and Mike and I got to stare at our son in the eyes. They left him on my belly for almost 10 mins before they took him away to clean him. It was awesome! I felt like I didn't have to rush our 'first meeting'. It was so amazing. The whole room was so calm, everything was just so calm. Remi weighed 5lbs 13 oz and was 18in long. With in an hour, I had Remi breastfeeding. He latched on so quick! Mike and I just sat there staring at our little boy and finally our life felt complete. About 2 hours later, we had the family come back in and I'll just say there was not a dry eye in the room!  Remi was so awake that day! Its like he wanted to see everyone too!
Our life is now complete!!

No comments:

Post a Comment